Monday 20 April 2015

Waterloo Ignorance

The National Army Museum in London conducted a survey to find out what the British public knew about the Battle of Waterloo, one of the most momentous events in European History. 73% of respondents had little or no knowledge of the battle. Only 53% knew it was the Duke of Wellington who led the allied forces to victory. The remaining 47% thought it was Sir Winston Churchill, King Arthur or even Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series! Of the group aged 18-24, 84% said they know little or nothing about Waterloo and 12% said they had never heard of ir. 14% thought the French defeated the British at Waterloo, while a third had no idea who won (CLICK). As at least 25% of people living in London are foreigners, I'm surprised the results were this good. Politicians who advocate multiculturalism and witter on about immigrants learning British values haven't a clue what they're on about. Battle of Waterloo (1898) by William Holmes Sullivan was painted decades later. There were no war artists in those days. Shame.


Post a Comment

<< Home