Tuesday 20 June 2006

Not The Da Vinci Code!

La Gioconda (left) and Leonardo's Mona Lisa
Dan Brown's hokum The Da Vinci Code has done more than cause a stir in the Law Courts of London and in the Christian Church. It's spawned a new arts search engine Trumalia that's posting "enigmas" for arts fans to solve (rewards on offer) and the US Portland Museum of Art has brought its faded La Gioconda out of mothballs, presumably to cash in. The Portland version (left) is supposedly a preparatory study for the Mona Lisa. Experts have dated the work to the same period, but don't tell me Leonardo had a hand in this obviously inferior copy of his Mona Lisa. Leonardo's drawings are superb, so I would expect the master's hand to show in any preparatory work. The daub on the left is a real bummer. She looks like Miss Piggy having a bad hair day. Clean it and X-ray it, Portland, and let's see what you've really got. Click the title link to visit Trumalia.

2 Comments:

At 20/6/06, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! That was fast. I published this blog only a few minutes ago.
Yup. And they're interested in the right kind of art - Renaissance - not modern rubbish.
Let me know what you think of Trumalia.

 
At 20/6/06, Blogger Unknown said...

No. I missed that one. I'm still catching up on yesterday's news, and I've been in the garden most of the day, hanging out washing in the am and trimming my lawn edges in the pm. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home