Monday 22 September 2008

Hirst's Worthless Pussy

Damien Hirst - Mindy (1982)Here's a purrrfect example of the insanity of the art market. This portrait of pet pussy Mindy was painted by Damien Hirst as a gift in 1982 and signed by him: D Hirst '82. It proves he could actually paint! In a sane world, any early work by a master would be a collector's item. Aware of the fortunes Moneybags' junk is fetching, Mindy's owner - hairdresser Julie Staniforth - took her deceased pet's portrait to Sotheby's for a valuation, but Sotheby's told her it was worthless because it wasn't in Hirst's trademark style! Had Hirst stuffed the cat, it might have been worth a bob or two, but a competent portrait of pussy, no way. (Note to The Daily Mail reporter: it is Sotheby's, not Sotherby's.)

6 Comments:

At 23/9/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think It is worth a fortune to the art world it is truly an original

 
At 23/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

It should be. It's one of the best artworks he's done. His dramatic use of the cat's shadow puts this painting one up on the average pussy portrait.

If I worked at Sotheby's, I would have jumped at the chance of putting this up for auction, just to see what it might fetch. Somebody needs sacking.

 
At 24/9/08, Blogger Robert said...

That really is an interesting slant on things, I really agree with you here.

 
At 25/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

You mean you disagree with me about everything else?

Well, I suppose I do tend to fire my grumpy-old-man scattergun in all directions!

 
At 25/9/08, Blogger Robert said...

Most of it hits the target Ian! Pity it doesn't knock it down though: but they say 'wearing away a stone' and all that.

I suffer from irritable male syndrome in addition to a grumpy-old-man one.

 
At 25/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that's a relief.

So long as you don't suffer from irritable bowel syndrome. I hear that's nasty.

I'll keep chipping away at the foundations of the Ant-art Establishment. It's a harmless hobby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home