Wednesday 7 May 2008

Boris Bans Boozers

TFL Poster: Drinking Alcohol Is Prohibited on Public Transport (2008)Bouncy Boris bans boozers on buses and Tube trains in Ghetto London. This is a huge bound in the right direction. Being accosted by drunken louts on public transport is one of the many reasons people with cars prefer to drive into London, despite all the traffic problems they encounter. Whether a boozing ban will lead to less bus shelters being smashed by hooligans remains to be seen. The ban comes into effect on 1 June. Hey, Boris, what about chain gangs of convicted thugs, alcoholics and illegal immigrants to repair our dangerously pot-holed roads?

2 Comments:

At 7/5/08, Blogger weggis said...

Sorry Coxsoft, I just don’t buy it. It is not “Drinking” on public transport that is the problem. It is “Drunks” on public transport that is a problem, and by and large they got drunk somewhere else, like a Pub [we now have 24hour licensing thanks to NuLab] or 24hour supermarkets and off-licences [thanks to Nulab]. They are merely trying to get home.

Many is the time I have tip-toed my way along the Liverpool Street station platform between the Nouveau Red pancakes left behind by overpaid yuppies who cannot hold their drink.

This is a typical piece of NuLab spin, that has completely missed to root of the problem, by of all people Boris. I despair! Not a good start.

 
At 7/5/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Weggis

Despite that false beard, I'm sure you have a Freedom Pass. You should use it on buses in Redbridge more often. I've lost count of the number of loud drunks I've seen - and heard - swaying in their seats with a can of lager in their hands. And the last time I visted London on the Underground, I found myself sitting opposite a drunken Scot who wanted to debate Scottish Nationalism with me. Boy, did I need to be diplomatic, because he was obviously on the verge of being violent. His wife - also drunk - kept trying to soothe him.

I agree that things have got a hell of a lot worse since New Labour brought in 24-hour licensing, which has proved a complete disaster. Now you can encounter drunks at any time of the day, even when going to work in the morning! In the old days drunks used to stagger home from pubs at night, vomiting curry or Chinese takeaway as they went. If you didn't go out at night, you didn't see any drunks. Now it's 24-hour boozing.

Boris is only trying to undo the damage New Labour has done. It's well worth trying. I hope it works. And why should harmless smokers be banned and dangerous drunks allowed the freedom of public transport?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home