Wednesday 22 April 2009

London Elephant Parade

A Painted Elephant in Antwerp (2008)Nearly two years ago I reported on the Cow Parade in Denmark (CLICK). In 2010 two hundred fibreglass jumbos will turn up in London for the Elephant Parade. Each model will be painted by an artist. The one above appeared in Antwerp in 2008 (painted by Henri Rousseau?). What a beauty! After three months of lurking around London, the jumbos will be auctioned by Elephant Family (CLICK) to raise money to protect India's elephants. The charity hopes to raise £1m for its cause. If you have room for a jumbo....

6 Comments:

At 18/12/09, Blogger Poppies Art Workshops said...

I am an artist decorating an elephant for the london parade in Bournemouth. The inspiration is the seaside and it's a community project and called 'KUBELLA'.
Why not have a look at the blog of the current progress: www.poppiesartworkshops.blogspot.com

 
At 18/12/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi.

Thanks for the link. I love the eyelashes! Please let me know how you get on. A graphic of the finished work would be appreciated. Please message me when you have one.

 
At 22/12/09, Anonymous Art in Bloom said...

Hi, We are also painting an elephant for the 2010 elephant parade. Its called 'Just Joey' after the rose. Check out our blog at www.artinbloom.co.uk/blog to see why!!

Well done for covering this important charity.

 
At 22/12/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. When your jumbo is ready, please send a link to a photo of it for my blog.

 
At 25/2/10, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I am in the middle of mutating and mosaicing one of these elephants, with some fellow craftivists.
You can follow it's progress on my blog www.carriereichardt.com or see the first of 3 films about the making of it at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgi6z7f7kBU

 
At 25/2/10, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Carrie

Thanks for contacting me. You're the third ellie painter to have done so. I think I'm going to have an elephant-painting day on my blog to give you all a fair crack of the whip. Video too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home