Saturday 8 July 2006

Modigliani's Models

Amedeo Modigliani - Nude (1917)
Now I'm going to surprise those of you who think I'm a borné reactionary who proves his lack of intellect by condemning modern art. I actually like the best of Modigliani's nudes. Their gentle abstraction of the female form gives them a serenity which detailed realism might destroy. The subject is also allowed her privacy, because her naked body is merely part of an overall pattern that gives the picture a pleasing sense of balance. So the inclusion of pudic hair - a potentially shocking break with artistic convention in its day - becomes a rather prim addition to the pattern. Sorry if I'm beginning to sound like a pseud, but it's very difficult to discuss art without seeming pretentious. Anyway, Modigliani and his Models begins today at the Royal Academy of Arts in London and continues until 15 October.

3 Comments:

At 8/7/06, Blogger weggis said...

Yes, you are beginning to sound like a pseud.

 
At 8/7/06, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, well. I suppose it had to happen.

 
At 12/7/06, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not just coming around! I've liked Modigliani's nudes for yonks. It's his portraits I'n not so keen on. They're projections of Modigliani, not real people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home