Tuesday 11 March 2008

Sir Les Strikes Again!

Fiona Lowry - What I Assume You Shall Assume (2008)Hard on the heels of the Archibald Prize comes the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize worth $210,000 in Aussie dosh. And Sir Les Patterson strikes again! The winner is Fiona Lowry with her nude self-portrait with the pretentious title What I Assume You Shall Assume (2008). My only reason for showing this twaddle is that it strikes me as a modern variant of the Fleshy Knickers Convention of Western European art. Take a digital photo and tweak its colours until it becomes virtually monochrome and the full-frontal nude is no more than a Rorschach inkblot test. Paint or photo makes no difference. I admit it, shrink. I see a chubby naked woman in an aggressive pose with a mean look on her face. What's it mean? Am I a perve? Shrink: Calm down, Coxsoft; zis is natural Id fingy what you see. Phew!

2 Comments:

At 11/3/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you would like that little beauty Ian.

It does look like someone playing with photoshop, which makes me wonder why she didnt just hit the print button and be done with it.

I like my paintings to look like paintings.. not photographs, photoshop filters, or any other technology.

Dion

 
At 11/3/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Dion

At least we can agree on what we dislike. Isn't she a waste of space? And to win a prize! The Aussie anti-art establishment is as clueless as the Brit. one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home