Tuesday 19 August 2008

Threadneedle Update

Paul Brandford - The Clothes ShowForget my advice about voting for the Threadneedle Figurative Prize. I've just tried. Shock! Horror! You can vote for only the 7 shortlisted entries, which are some of the weakest exhibits among the 71 selected for the show! Look at this impressionistic mess The Clothes Show by Paul Brandford. Can you recognize Robert "Should have gone to Specsavers" Mugabe between two of his thugs? Who on earth shortlisted it? A drinking buddy? Old art school chum? It wouldn't pass muster as a political cartoon. The richest art prize in the UK drew over 2,700 entries, from kids to Royal Academicians, and this is shortlisted! Care to bet it wins the Selectors Prize? Click the title link, not to vote, but to e-mail your protest about how this prize has been fixed.

4 Comments:

At 27/8/08, Blogger Vivian Turner said...

Hi Mr. Coxsoft!

Glad to hear that you think the prize has generated some debate!

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and come and join us for the Threadneedle Figurative Prize debate: 'What's the future for figurative art?' Sounds like you've got a lot to say on the matter!

Thurs. 28th of August at 6pm. Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1.

The price is £7 (£5 concessions)

It would be great to see you there!

Cheers,
Vivian Turner
(Mascot and promoter for the prize)

 
At 27/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Vivian

I'm not sure I should be writing to a dummy, but I guess there's a human face behind Vivian.

£5! You've got to be joking. I can shoot my mouth off for free on my blog. That's what it's for.

Anyway, I'm working tomorrow. Will the high spots of the debate be published online?

 
At 27/8/08, Blogger Vivian Turner said...

Dear Mr. Coxsoft,

What a shame!

However, we will hopefully have a podcast of the debate so you can hear it in full!

Watch this space:

www.threadneedlefigurativeprize.com!

 
At 27/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the info.

But a podcast? I haven't had a peep our of my cobbled together PC for two or three years. Its sound chip may have died. Shame. I had lots of fun sounds and tunes on the previous version, before I pulled bits out for PC no 2.

Know anyone who's throwing out a PC with Windows XP? (I refuse to buy anything lumbered with Vista.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home