Tuesday 3 February 2009

Coxsoft Art Buys PC!

I.C. - Newsflash (2007)Coxsoft Art has ordered a new PC! Gasp! Regular readers will know I'm running Windows 98 SE on a PC built in the days of Windows 95 (it thinks Windows 98 is a Mac!) and I've been dithering over a replacement for more than a year. Wall-to-wall laptops in my local stores and Microsoft's white elephant Vista® on everything bar little electronic notepads have been putting me off. Prices too. But Dell® finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse: a "downgrade" to XP Professional® for £40. As the PC was reduced by £70 and delivery charges of £20 were waived, it's a good deal. Of course they have to give you Vista Business® on CD as part of the deal, so you can "upgrade" when you feel ready. Haw, haw, haw. Fat chance. As well as having all the modern doodads - dual-core processor, USB ports and gigabytes of memory and storage (I doubled both for £20 each) - it has the other thing I needed: a 3.5 inch floppy disk drive! How else could I transfer important files from my Atari ST?

4 Comments:

At 3/2/09, Blogger Barkingside 21 said...

Broadband next?coxyina

 
At 4/2/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah ... er ... now that's really getting radical.

 
At 4/2/09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm - my experience of XP is that alien floppy track sizes can't be handled by the arcane fiddling of the Dos Floppy Parameter Table. I'm not sure some modern floppy drives will even handle Dos format720k 3.5" floppies.

Don't throw that old PC away until you're sure.

 
At 4/2/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip. I don't throw anything away that works. I have an Oric 1 48K, an Oric Atmos, a ZX Spectrum 48K, an Acorn Electron and 3 Atari ST's (one works, the other 2 are full of replacement chips).

I can't experiment before the new PC arrives, because none of the public XP's in my local library have floppy disk drives. However, the staff PC's run Windows 2000 and they do handle the old 720's. So maybe....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home