Friday 9 August 2013

Mary Moser RA

Following my post on the formation of the Royal Academy of Arts (scroll down or CLICK) I did a little research into Mary Moser RA, whom I must admit I'd never heard of. She was very successful and popular in her day, mainly painting Dutch-style vases of flowers, not my favourite genre. I prefer botanical artwork. She was only 24 years old when she became a founding member of the Royal Academy of Arts, the youngest RA ever. Shown is my combined image of George Romney's Portrait of Mary Moser RA (c. 1770) and her painting Flowers In A Vase, Which Stands on a Ledge. There are only three of her paintings in the Your Paintings collection (CLICK). After the deaths of Mary Moser and Angelica Kauffman, full RAs remained an all-male preserve until Dame Laura Knight was elected in 1936 (CLICK).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home