Tuesday 31 July 2007

Work, Rest & Play at NG

The National Gallery, London, opened two new exhibitions this month, both free. Scratch The Surface features some nonsense by Yinka Shonibare MBE. This is another slave-trade exhibition, and I'm sure we're all bored with them by now, especially as they keep whitewashing Queen Elizabeth I. The second looks far more interesting: Work, Rest & Play, a touring exhibition which has already been seen at Bristol's City Museum and Art Gallery and the Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne. Laura Knight's Ruby Loftus screwing a Breeching-ring (1943) is a gem. Find it in the Sunley Room until 14 October 2007.

2 Comments:

At 2/8/07, Blogger weggis said...

Now that's art.
I can smell the oil. And hear the machine.

 
At 3/8/07, Blogger Unknown said...

Exactly. It's a cracker. There are so many talented but unsung artists. That's why the tripe churned out by famous twerps like Tracey Whatshername gets right up my nose.

I passed the New Fairlop Oak today. They've turned what I think used to be a delivery entrance into a smokers' patio. A worker was screwing a patio heater to the wall as I passed. I take it you'll be dropping in to lodge a complaint with management about saving the environment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home