Thursday 15 May 2008

Greetings from Rio

Favel Painting Project Banner (2008)Today Coxsoft Art received an e-newsletter from Jeroen Koolhaas and Dre Urhahn in Rio de Janeiro. Quote:

"Here’s a quick update on our latest project, ‘Favela Painting: Rio Cruzeiro’, a 2000m2 painting of a river in traditional Japanese style running through Vila Cruzeiro, one of the most notorious slums in Rio de Janeiro. The design was made in collaboration with the Amsterdam based tattoo artist Rob Admiraal. When we are not hiding from gunbattles between the local drug gang and the police, we are working on the insanely huge painting together with a group of local youths. Depending on the weather and the political situation we hope to finish the painting within the next couple of months."

Looks like William Morris to me, guys (title link).

4 Comments:

At 20/5/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEy, that s great!

Have a look at my short films on Rio
http://www.blog.ar2com.de/bolivia-cocaine
und http://www.blog.ar2com.de/rio-de-janeiro-how-it-all-started/

Or tell me what do you think about ‘favela’:
http://www.blog.ar2com.de/favela

Enjoy,

 
At 20/5/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Julakim

Glad you liked the post. My ancient PC can't handle videos, so I'll give that a miss, thanks.

The project looks really interesting and could have some social benefits too. I hope the people who live there appreciate it.

The patterns I saw on your blog strongly reminded me of William Morris designs, as I said in my post. Click the William Morris Gallery graphic in my sidebar to see what I mean.

Let me know when it's completed. And good luck dodging the bullets!

 
At 14/5/09, Blogger Unknown said...

nice fish, righ know i m fishng far away from vila cruzeiro,
i m really curious to see more pictures about your work.
do you plan to go on your painting beyong that huge stairs and that wall situated , (if i have a good memory) in front of the playground,

anyway, i definitly prefer the fish,
than the as pipas,

well the point is: I woulf like to explain more my approach. right now I 'm writing my art master. and suddendly, i remember of your works, I already see accompagnied by a friend we have in common, Drika or Adrienne.

so please if you could let me your mail,
otherwise i will send a message to drika.

danke vel,

et bonne continuation,

off

 
At 15/5/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Click the title link to go to the Favela Painting blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home