Friday 11 July 2008

Kids' London

Front Cover: Kids' London (1997)What to do with the cherubs over the school summer holidays? My first thought was that Londoners should visit their local library for a book such as Kids' London by Francesca Collin (London Transport Guides) published by Cassell Illustrated; but look at the date: 1997. And this is the latest edition! It seems that publishers have given up trying to compete with the Internet. So, your best bet is to sit your cherub at a computer with instructions to search for "London Kids Free" and list all the nearest freebies that might appeal to the family. If you live outside London, do you really want to visit the crime capital of England? Four more people were knifed to death on London's streets yesterday, including the 20th teenager to be murdered this year (CLICK). And our politicians have no idea what to do about it, because they created this mess without realising what they were doing and are still making the same mistakes.

2 Comments:

At 3/9/08, Blogger blogger said...

I think that the best available resource (apart from the internet) is a Kids edition that Time Out London publish.

I haven't bought it myself but from excerpts published it looks to offer some good ideas.

Even if I didn't live here, I'd take my kids to London. Even my daughter, as a Londoner stares at amazement at all of the big red buses, and loves the museums.

http://toddlersinlondon.blogspot.com/

 
At 4/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

You're probably right about Time Out London for kids. I keep looking for a current book that can be borrowed from a library, but no luck.

I remember as a child being gobsmacked my the height of the buildings in London. It made me feel even smaller than I was. My favourite as a kid was the Natural History Museum. My son at that age preferred the Science Museum next door.

A great free visit for young children is St James's Park, which has a good collection of water fowl. After feeding the ducks, you can walk through the park to Buckingham Palace.

If the cherubs have hiking boots, you can enjoy an all-green walk from Picadilly Circus through St James's Park, Green Park and Hyde Park. It's a 6-mile round trip through parkland in the heart of London!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home