Friday 29 August 2008

Cold War Modern

V&A - Superman CCCP and USANo, not the new cold war that the USA, UK and Russia seem determined to start, but a timely look at the old one. On 25 September the V&A Museum in London opens Cold War Modern: Design 1945-1970. To be honest, I don't know what to make of this show. Having lived through the cold war, I can't recall much about its designs, except for Blackhawks comics. (The Blackhawks were always duffing up nasty Commies, from slit-eyed Koreans to fur-hatted Ruskies, and shooting down MiG fighter planes.) All I can tell you is that the entrance fees are diabolical: £9 adults; £7 silver surfers (77%) and so on and so forth. No way, V&A.

2 Comments:

At 29/8/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a link to the exhibition site which might help you understand what is being displayed. Of course, it won't help with the price but the ticket compares with prices for the Tate (Twombly at £10). The show contains 300 objects from around the world - including reconstructions of buildings, cars, works by Picasso, Corbusier, Fontana, Hamilton, etc.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/cold-war-modern/

 
At 30/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, David

Thanks for the link.

Twombly at £10 is a joke. I didn't even bother to preview it.

I'm campaigning for a return to the old days when silver surfers (OAPs back then) got in at 50%. Why all the big London art galleries and museums think OAPs are rich, I don't know. Anything worse than 50% gets the raspberry from me.

No cartoons? The best part of the cold war - apart from Blackhawks comics - were the political cartoons: Krushov banging a UN table with his shoe, that sort of thing.

I really don't see what posh lavatory seats have got to do with it, but I'll try your link and see if it enlightens me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home