Sunday 10 August 2008

Firefox and ALTs

Mozilla's Firefox® is taking an increasing share of the browser market from Internet Explorer. I tried it this week. The bad news as far as my website and blog are concerned is that Firefox - Opera too, I'm told - doesn't show ALTs (ALTernative titles) when you pass your cursor over a graphic. These new browsers follow HTML code rigidly, whereas Internet Explorer isn't so pedantic. Blogger HTML gives us a blank ALT="" when we upload a graphic, and I use these ALTs to show the artist's name and the title and date of the artwork. If you're using Firefox or Opera, you won't see this information, because it isn't entered as a TITLE. Having posted well over 2,000 graphics on my blog, I'm not going to change all my ALTs to TITLEs, but I've given this Firefox logo a TITLE, instead of an ALT, to see how it works on Blogger and IE6.... Success.

2 Comments:

At 10/8/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a plug-in for Firefox that adds the alt tags back in again.

 
At 11/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray!

Thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home