Wednesday 7 January 2009

Art Vinyl Prize

Pieter Bruegel the Elder - Netherlandish Proverbs (1559) plus Fleet Foxes (2008)The Art Vinyl prize for best cover has been won by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (ca 1525/30-1569)! His painting Netherlandish Proverbs (1559) on the debut album of US indie rock group Fleet Foxes gained the most online votes. Eugene Delacroix's dramatic painting Liberty Leading the People (1830) came third on Coldplay's Viva La Vida. The only contemporary design in the first three is Roots Manuva's album Slime and Reason, which came second with a green-slime-filled neo-classical eggcup. Yuk, but very effective. Click the title link to view all three covers. I must admit my favourite is still Serge Leblon's photo of Alison Goldfrapp (CLICK).

4 Comments:

At 7/1/09, Blogger Ian Brown said...

Fleet Foxes' debut was perhaps the best album I heard this year.

 
At 7/1/09, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so out of touch with pop music, because I can't stand the radio stations that play the stuff. I bought Enya's first 3 albums more than a decade ago and that was it! My clock-radio alarm is set to Classics FM, a Brit. radio station that plays classical music. If it plays a Brahms' lullaby I'm late for work! But the 1812 Overture gets me up every time.

 
At 8/1/09, Blogger Ian Brown said...

Oh if you like classical baroque music you might enjoy Fleet Foxes. They have lots of complicated choral-style melodies. Its a mixture of surf rock and Simon and Garfunkel. Very easy on the ears.

 
At 9/1/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, Simon and Garfunkel. Now you're talking my kind of pop. I have their albums on vinyl. Mediaeval Babes is a more recent group I liked. If Fleet Foxes gets anywhere close to either, they sound interesting. Have you come across Kitaro? He's still going strong and he's brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home