Wednesday 4 March 2009

Broadband At Last!

The Constable item below is my first post using my new hi-tech Dell PC with its Windows XP "downgrade" from putrid Vista, and well worth the £40 it cost me. I wish I could say the same for the ghastly panoramic 19" monitor Dell palmed me off with. It's designed for Cinemascope videos, not computers, and stretches everything sideways. I've stopped it stretching my main graphics, but it's still stretching icons and web pages. Tesco.net pulled the plug on my 56K modem without any warning yesterday morning. I spent 3 hours sorting out all the broadband do-dads and gaining access to the Internet. Wires, wires, wires. You'd think I was knitting a cardigan with the damned things. And of course I still need my old PC for lots of essential programs I haven't transferred to the Dell.

2 Comments:

At 5/3/09, Blogger lennardg said...

Hello Coxsoft
- if your screen is streching the image on it, it is perhaps set to the wrong resolution like "800 X 600" ( meaning: a resolution designed for non-wide screens) , a widescreen is not supposed to strech the image, it just gives you more space on the left and right side.

Congrats on the broadband, now you can download loads of "educational material..."

 
At 6/3/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Lennard

The screen was set to 1300+ x 768. I've reset it to 1024x768, which gets my graphics right, but I've still got Cinemascope on eveything else. And the vertical size of the screen is no taller than my old 14" monitor. I was expecting a bigger screen, like the "old" 19" screens. What I've got is 16" x 9". Yuk! And it's lower than my old 14", so I'm looking down on it. Double yuk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home