Tuesday 1 August 2006

Da Vinci Code cracked

The progressive feminization of John
Dan Brown has got Christians scrutinizing Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper, which isn't a bad thing if you don't take Dan's hokum seriously. But some Christians are in a tizzy about it. Did Jesus fake his own death and live happily ever after with one of his disciples, who was a woman in disguise? Coxsoft Art has scoured the Web for the best images of the famous fresco to crack this code. Fact: there are 12 disciples in the picture. Fact: the alleged woman is John, according to an old copy of The Last Supper in Ponte Capriasca which is labelled with the disciples' names. Fact: the "Mysterious hand holding knife" on Dan Brown's website is John's, which gives him an expansive reach for a woman. I've combined three images for comparison: pre-restoration, post-restoration and a 16th century copy. What I found is a progressive feminization of John. The image on the left is badly deteriorated, but looks to me as though John has a light brown beard. The middle picture shows him clean shaven and girlie in a youthful way. The third image shows John completely feminized and wearing enough mascara to be kicked out of the Boy Scouts (if scout masters are allowed to be politically incorrect nowadays). So, through iffy restoration and artistic beautification, John has been turned into a woman. To be fair to Dan, he is right to have pointed this out.

5 Comments:

At 1/8/06, Blogger Unknown said...

All true. But I can't think of another da Vinci; I can think of other Leonardo's. I knew someone years ago whose name was de la Sierra (of the Mountains). I've never forgotten that name. Dunno what his first name was!

 
At 1/8/06, Blogger weggis said...

We're all looking in the wrong place! We should be looking UNDER the table for a pair of sling-backs.

 
At 1/8/06, Blogger Unknown said...

I must admit the thought that Jesus escaped the cross and lived happily ever after with the Biblical equivalent of Danny la Rue had crossed my mind, but I rejected the idea as preposterous. (I don't want death threats from Christian Fundamentalists.)
More important than all this tosh, Crouch Vale Brewers Gold won the best real ale at show award at the CAMRA do at Earls Court. I assume you will be blogging this news at Barkingside 21. I'm not sure I can work up an angel for Coxsoft Art. But Barkingside 21 characters look a beery lot. I'm sure they'll appreciate the news. And it's an Essex brewer!

 
At 4/8/06, Blogger weggis said...

They already know. You don't need a blog for this sort of stuff to get round the hopvine.

Also of interest is this
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125636.300?DCMP=NLC-nletter&nsref=mg19125636.300

New Scientist says that "drinking beer is good for the planet". Try it!

 
At 4/8/06, Blogger Unknown said...

So you're doing your bit for the environment every time you swill a pint, eh? Now I've heard it all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home