Wednesday 30 May 2007

UK Marquetry Exhibition

Peter Sheen - Wren in the Bulrushes (2006)The Marquetry Society of Great Britain's National Marquetry Exhibition 2007 is hosted this year by the Redbridge Marquetry Group. The exhibition opened yesterday at St John's R.C. School, Turpins Lane, Woodford Bridge, Essex, and continues until Saturday 2 June. The quality of art is very high, as you can see by the example I've chosen from the online Winners Gallery 2006: Wren in the Bulrushes by Peter Sheen of the Bexley Group, 2nd in the Beginners Class 2006 (title link).

4 Comments:

At 31/5/07, Blogger jafabrit said...

I have always had a great respect for woodworking and Marquetry. It takes such skill and vision to pull it off.

 
At 31/5/07, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Jafabrit

It's my first post on marquetry, and all thanks to the exhibition being local. A dying art, I'm afraid. Furniture used to be covered in marquetry. Now it's left to enthusiasts to keep it alive. That they're doing so is great.

The art world is so vast, there are still visual arts I haven't mentioned. Found a great airbrush artist recently, and I also came across a book on burning pictures into wood! I've earmarked both for later blogs.

 
At 2/6/07, Blogger jafabrit said...

I enjoy your blog and your bringing to attention so many areas of the arts.

 
At 2/6/07, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Jafabrit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home