Tuesday 12 August 2008

The Tomb of Guillaumet

Louis-Ernest Barrias - The Tomb of Gustave Guillaumet (1887)News that a memorial of 52 stainless steel pillars will be erected in Hyde Park in memory of those killed in the 7 July bombings prompted BBC News Magazine to ask: How do you build a modern memorial? The article (title link) looks at the modern fashion for abstract memorials, which no doubt have deep meaning for the relatives of victims, but which are going to say little or nothing to future generations. This defeats the purpose of a memorial. Now look at The Tomb of Gustave Guillaumet in the Cimetiere de Montmartre, Paris, sculpted by Louis-Ernest Barrias in 1887. More than a century later, that young girl from Bou Saâda is a poignant reminder of the French Orientalist painter buried here. A true memorial.
CLICK to view the plaster model of the girl and CLICK to see more beautiful sculptures by Barrias.

2 Comments:

At 16/8/08, Blogger Robert said...

I was captured by this the other day as I remembered seeing it in different media so I have done a post for you.

 
At 16/8/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Robert.

I wish I could remember where I found the graphic I posted. It's the best I've seen, but on searching I couldn't find it again. Interestingly, it had the wrong title: Isabella Guillaumet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home