Friday 7 November 2008

Venus Williams Nude

Venus Williams, photo © Anderson & LowLast month. when I previewed Champions: Sporting Portraits by Anderson & Low at the National Portrait Gallery (CLICK), I mentioned a beautiful portrait of tennis star Venus Williams in the nude. The first quibble that arrived in my inbox was "Where's that photo of Venus Williams in the nude"? Some people! Here it is, belatedly from ArtDaily (title link). I'd seen a thumbnail of this photo in the e-newsletter I receive from NPG, but thumbnails don't blow up well. So I'd chosen another graphic. The exhibition continues until 18 January 2009.

4 Comments:

At 11/11/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don`t know if she`s nude or not. She could be fully dressed save for her kneees and shoulders.

 
At 11/11/08, Blogger Unknown said...

True, but the selling point of this exhibition is that all the sporting stars agreed to pose in the nude. I must admit I'm disappointed that Venus isn't showing more leg. She has tremendous legs that allow her to jump around the tennis court like a kangaroo, and they are part of her sporting success as well as her on-court personality.

I suppose the answer is to visit the exhibition and see if this photo has been cropped, but I don't think it has.

 
At 8/12/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visited the exhibition and was also disappointed that the photo of Venus Williams is the same as on this site. I would have expeected at least a full length side shot of Venus on display. The way she's posing, the 'important' bits would probably have been hidden anyway, but at least we could have benefitted from the side profile of her magnificent legs and flanks, which would have hinted at her athleticism.

 
At 8/12/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me know I hadn't inadvertently posted a cropped photo. I agree completely with your comment. Cutting out those magnificent legs diminishes the subject and the photo.

Have you seen the photo of Rebecca Romero by Nadav Kander I posted last month? That's a gobsmacker. Those thighs! And nothing rude. Find it here:
http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/
2008/11/rebecca-romero.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home