Saturday 11 June 2011

Codemasters™ Cracked

Veteran British computer games designer Codemasters™, which made its name with budget games for the old Sinclair ZX Spectrum, is the latest software firm to have its security cracked. It admits that hackers managed to take the personal details of thousands of its users, including names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, passwords, IP addresses, XBox gamer tags and biographies. (Click the title link for Codemasters™ announcement.) The two big questions are: 1) Why do video games makers collect so much data about us? and 2) Why do we give it to them? Clearly the UK Data Protection Act (1998) isn't enough to insure our personal details are safe. CLICK for the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO); N.B. the tick box at the top of ICO's page "I accept cookies from this site".

2 Comments:

At 10/8/11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Codemasters have a few pay to play titles on their roster. Much like any other subscription service, they need to have your billing information. There is nothing sinister about that

 
At 10/8/11, Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't suggesting it was sinister, but there are far too many firms collecting our personal data and demanding we sign in. To be honest, I've had enough of it. Why should I sign in to leave a comment on the BBC website? They can take my comment or leave it. They don't need to know who I am, where I live and what my telephone number is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home