Tuesday 8 January 2008

Look Out, Emin About!

Look Out, Emin About! (Neighbourhood Watch logo and Tracey Emin's Meerkats Model 2008 photo James O Jenkins)Today the National Gallery in London unveiled models for the next "sculpture" on Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth. Miracle! Tracey Emin proposes something I like and which shows a modicum of artistic talent! Stunned! I don't believe it! Her Meerkats "symbolise unity and safety" she says. Her idea isn't original. The Met. Police have been using meerkats as the Neighbourhood Watch logo for some years. But who needs originality? Look at Mark Wallinger's winning the Turner Prize for copying Brian Haw's anti-war display. The other five proposals range from insane to yuk (click the title link for details). I never thought I'd write this: Tracey Emin has produced the most appropriate and artistic entry. Maybe I'm having a funny turn. Must lie down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home