Sunday 10 July 2011

Chinese Non-starter

Sometimes I wonder why people bother. Take the Chinese Visual Festival 2011: Lost in Transformation. BBC News reported this today, showing a photo by Adrian Fisk of Chinese student Avril Liu holding her handwritten placard "We are the lost generation. I'm confused about the world" (title link). Adrian toured China asking young people to write their thoughts on placards and then photographing them, a novel piece of social research. His iSpeak China project is part of the festival in London. So where are the venues? The Chinese Visual Festival website has been down all day. Adrian's website is one of those clever-dick Flash Player jobs which irritate me. I finally found some details on the Birkbeck University website (CLICK). The show was invitation only! You still have the chance to see a film, but you'd do better borrowing Frank Dikötter's Mao’s Great Famine, which won the BBC's Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-fiction 2011 (CLICK). Dikötter explains how Mao Zedong's Great Leap Forward led to at least 45 million Chinese being worked, starved or beaten to death!

8 Comments:

At 11/7/11, Blogger China Culture Connect said...

The festival's offcial website is: www.chinesevisualfestival.org

 
At 11/7/11, Blogger China Culture Connect said...

We are sorry that the website was down all day because our host domain had problems. It has been resumed.

www.chinesevisualfestival.org

 
At 11/7/11, Blogger Unknown said...

I know. That's the first link I tried. I didn't put it on my blog, because it was down all day. I don't give my readers duff links.

Thanks anyway.

 
At 12/7/11, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. Shame you had those problems. I don't suppose there's much of the festival left. It went on till the 15th if I recall correctly. The BBC published its news late too.

I suggest for next year you send an early press release with photos to www.artdaily.org (in my links). It frequently beats the BBC on art news stories.

And if you give it - or me - all the venues and dates, it won't matter if your website goes down, because the details will be out there. The BBC didn't have them. Nor did your Facebook page. (Yes, I visited that too.)

No pdf's, please. I don't like them, but I did read yours. I think that's where I found out your exhibition was invitation only. Why? It sounds interesting. That's why I spent so long trying to track it down.

Better luck next time.

 
At 12/7/11, Blogger China Culture Connect said...

Just the opening was invitation only, all others were either open for ticket sale or admission free. Actually apart from missing the films, you can see all the photography and art video till this Sunday.

We were in contact with BBC way ahead of our starting date and could not control when they decide to run the story..

Thank you very much for the blog, we will definitely keep you informed in future editions of the festival.

 
At 12/7/11, Blogger Unknown said...

You're welcome. Please do.

 
At 13/7/11, Blogger China Culture Connect said...

Due to a large number of audiences' inquiries about when they can see the films of this year's Chinese Visual Festival again, the organizers of the event decided to put up an additional and truly last screening event this Saturday, 16th July.The exhibition will also be extended till 23rd July.

16th July will be the final event of 2011 Chinese Visual Festival which features both artists work and documentary films. Both curators will be at the event for introduction and Q&A. A selection of the most popular short films and an un-shown feature length film will be screened starting from 2:30pm.

Tickets for the event are available for advance booking at:
http://chinesevisualfestiv​al.org/purchase-tickets/
NOTICE: Limited seats, those who want to purchase tickets at the doors might not have a seat.

Venue: 17 Dorset Square NW1 6QB London
Time: 1:30pm, 16th July, 2011

 
At 13/7/11, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll publish an update after I've checked your website!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home