Tuesday 12 June 2007

Miniature Portraits

Nicholas Hilliard - Miniature Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I (c. 1595 - 1600)Here's a neat coincidence: I mentioned the art of miniature portraits in a recent post: Lahore Lovelies (CLICK to view the dead slug) and here's a perfect example, sold a week ago at a Christie’s London auction for £276,000. It's a previously unrecorded miniature portrait of Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard, painted circa 1595 to 1600. The pre-sale estimate was way too low: £60,000 to £80,000. So maybe there's life in miniature portraits still.

2 Comments:

At 13/6/07, Blogger jafabrit said...

groan! but this time a groan of pleasure. Oh that is fantastic, the detail, groan! I must keep working on my art, I must! I must!

 
At 14/6/07, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to have inspired you. It's a gem. Pity you live so far away. Last Time I visited the RA Summer Exhibition - admittedly a good few years ago - it had a room full of miniature paintings, the walls covered with little gems like this. But the one that sticks in my mind is a charming drawing of a snoozing dormouse by Beatrice Potter. Was it that long ago?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home