Wednesday 3 September 2008

Oo-er Giant Spider!

La Machine - Mechanical Spider (2008)Remember the Sultan's Elephant, which was such a huge success in London in May 2006 (CLICK)? La Machine - the French company which created the Sultan's Elephant and his schoolgirl astronaut - has now brought a giant mechanical spider to Liverpool. It was found clinging to this building today. And it will walk through the streets! Oo-er. Weighing 37 tonnes and standing 50 feet tall, it will prowl Europe's Capital of Culture (stifled giggle) as scary street theatre this weekend (title link).

4 Comments:

At 4/9/08, Blogger Robert said...

I wonder if it will inspire a new song in Liverpool Ian, like 'The Spider in The Bath' see here;

http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=9682

 
At 4/9/08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that the name of the French street theatregroup is La Machine. I volunteered for them when the Sultan's Elephant came to Antwerp (I even got on the elephant) and got to wear one of their costumes. The group is called 'Royal de Luxe'.

 
At 5/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Robert

Maybe Sir Paul will write a ditty for it. If the spider is as good as the Sultan's Elephant, it will deserve one.

 
At 5/9/08, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Sid

I'm sure you're right that the French street theatre group is Royal(e) de Luxe, because that's the name I used when I reported on the Sultan's Elephant. Either the BBC got La Machine wrong or that's the firm that makes these things for the street theatre group.

I'm sure I saw this spider lurking behind PM Gordon Brown on BBC News today. But it didn't get him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home