Wednesday 13 June 2007

Frida Kahlo Centenary

Frida Kahlo - Self Portrait (one of many)Slightly more upmarket than the previous gunge (below), Mexico is celebrating the centenary of the birth of the only international artist it has produced since the Aztecs got clobbered: Frida Kahlo (the one with the eyebrows and the moustache), and she's not much cop. If you happen to be passing through Mexico City, you'll find a major retrospective of her art at the Palacio de Bellas Artes Museum, with 200 paintings.

2 Comments:

At 14/6/07, Blogger jafabrit said...

oh drool! I have only seen one of her paintings at moma and was fascinated by the detail and the size (smaller than I imagined). I LOVE her work, wish I could go and see the show.

 
At 14/6/07, Blogger Unknown said...

I've never seen an original, so you're in a better position than I am to judge her art. From what I've seen on the internet, her paintings are naive and her portraits wooden.
If you go to ArtDaily.com (one of my links) and scroll to the bottom of the home page, you'll find a link to its jigsaws. Frida is one of them, and you can download it and have the fun of putting her together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home