Friday 5 September 2008

Banksy Certificates

Banksy - Gangsta RatThe art world is becoming so worried by fake Banksys that it's begun issuing certificates of authenticity. This year a committee called Pest Control was set up to authenticate Banksy's prints and canvasses. Now an independent board entitled Vermin will authenticate Banksy's street graffiti. Five of these are to go under the hammer at Lyon & Turnbull's forthcoming auction in London. For the first time, each of these works will have a certificate of authenticity.

2 Comments:

At 10/4/09, Blogger Andytgeezer said...

Hi Coxsoft

I received this in the post yesterday, which claims to be from Mr Banksy and it's caused a stir amongst my circle of friends. I've texted the number on the back of the card and to all intents and purposes he seems to be the REAL Banksy. Could you take a look at it and tell me what you think please.

The suggestion was that this was a work in progress around London at the moment. Have you seen this?

Cheers in advance
mischief
my REAL wall

 
At 10/4/09, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Mischief

Thanks for the interesting link. I had a look at the picture you received and I think it's a delayed April Fool prank.

The picture isn't up to Banksy's usual standard and I've never known him sign himself "Mr Banksy". Also, I'm sure he could do a much better cartoon of Bouncy Boris.

Banksy has his own website. It's got some cracking stuff on it:

http://www.banksy.co.uk/

If I'm wrong and that "Mr Banksy" turns up, please let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home